Dispute Unauthorized Charges
Do You Have an Unrecognized Charge on Your Account?
We’ve compiled a list of contact information for common merchants on how to dispute a transaction with them.
Here’s what to do to verify if you authorized that charge:
- It’s much easier to communicate directly with the merchant where the charge originated from about the unrecognized transaction. Most of the times they are able to refund or follow their individual policies.
- Not every transaction you don’t recognize means your identity has been stolen. It is commonly seen that kids make purchases online without their parent’s knowledge or many people don’t remember to cancel subscriptions after a free trial ends. However, if fraud is suspected on your debit or credit card, it is important to contact your financial institution immediately to help resolve the issue quickly.
If you have a charge to dispute from Amazon you can:
- Call their toll free number at (888) 280-4331
- Or their customer support team at (866) 216-1072
Amazon’s customer support is amazing and should be able to resolve your issue relatively quickly.
Customer service number:(888) 221-1161
Or you can file a dispute online:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Open a dispute in the Resolution Center within 180 calendar days of your purchase.
- Click “Dispute a Transaction.”
- Select item dispute.
Follow this link to request a refund for an accidental or unauthorized charge that is not fraud:
- Login to your Google Play account: https://play.google.com/store/account
- Scroll down to “Order History” and find the order you want to return. If you don’t see the order listed, you may have bought it on a different Google Account so check all of your accounts.
- To the right of the order, click “More”
- Select Request a refund or Report a problem and choose the option that describes your situation.
- Complete the form and note that you would like a refund.
- You will see a message saying “thank you for sharing your concerns.” You’ll then get an email with your refund decision. You’ll usually get this within 15 minutes, but it can take up to two business days.
If you have multiple refund requests, repeat these steps for each thing you bought. All Google Play purchases will appear on your statement under the following names:
- GOOGLE*App developer name (for Android apps)
- GOOGLE*content type (i.e., GOOGLE*Music)
If the charge in question isn’t in one of these formats, it didn’t come from Google Play.
Square: Visit this site and enter the info you have available to verify if this is a legitimate charge www.square.com/receipts
Hulu: You will need to contact their customer service at (888) 265-6650
Netflix: You will need to contact their customer service at (888) 579-7172 or chat with them live on their website.
iTunes: They have several options for contacting the Apple support team regarding iTunes:
- Call their customer service at (800) 275-2273
- Online Request submission at https://getsupport.apple.com/
- Chat with them on their website following the link above using the Live Chat function